The short answer is a memory foam or orthopedic memory foam mattress. This is according to a scientific study conducted by researchers.
For a longer, more detailed answer, read on:
Given the different types of memory foam mattress that have cropped up in the market, it can be confusing when it comes to choosing the best mattress for your back. The truth is, today, most mattresses are made keeping the comfort of your spine in mind. Having said that, it is also true that some mattresses are better than others. Before you settle on a mattress for yourself, keep these things in mind:
- Good posture is of utmost importance, even when you are asleep. So, get a mattress that can keep your spine properly aligned. This means that when you sleep, your back has to be relaxed. A mattress that is too firm can be uncomfortable and disrupt the alignment of the neck and spine, while a mattress that is too soft will not provide the support your need. So, the mattress has to have the right amount of firmness.
- Size matters. Decide what size you will need: will it be a king-size, queen, a single bed, or a custom size according to your bed/cot.
- Brand name matters. Mattresses from good brands such as WakeUp orthopedic mattress go the extra mile to ensure that spine alignment and back support requirements are met.
- Every mattress has a shelf life. So, if your mattress has been around for more than eight years, it’s time to discard it and get a new one. Companies like WakeUp best orthopedic mattress in india actually offer 8 to 10 years warranty.
- Get a mattress that distributes weight evenly. And one that can mold itself according to your body type. A memory foam mattress does this best.
- Look for memory foam mattresses that are specifically designed to provide orthopedic support, which means they prioritize back care. An orthopedic memory foam mattress is a good example of this.
It may be tempting to get a soft and plushy mattress that you can just sink into, but that’s not going to help your back. A medium-firm mattress is your best option. Also, get try out a medium-firm memory foam mattress, as the “memory foam” essentially remembers your body shape. As you sleep on it, the mattress molds itself around you. This way, it provides support according to your bodily alignment. The best part is that these best orthopedic mattress for back pain also bounce back to its normal state once you get off the mattress!
So the verdict: Memory foam mattresses are best for you back!